Sunday, June 01, 2008

Pierce Family Reunion





These are just a few shots from the Pierce family reunion which is held the 1st Sunday in May each year. We've had this reunion yearly for as long as I can remember. It started at Grandmother's house, then after she passed away, it continued until Aunt Thelma and Aunt Myrtle felt overwhelmed with the task of hostin it. Later it was held at the Clanton Recreation Center, for a few years, then a cousin, Harold Pierce graciously invited the family to hold the reuinon at his home in the Enterprise community of Chilton County. In years past we have had over 200 participants, but in recent years it has been much smaller. The 1st picture is my cousin Doyle and my eldest brother, Ken. Next is Aunt Cherry, Uncle James and their son Phil. (Aunt Cherry passed away last week after a valiant fight with cancer). She lost the battle, but won the victory as she was a strong Christian. The third picture is my granddaughter, Julia, with aunt Thelma, then a group of my siblings and their immediate families as we gather each year, in a cluster, under a tree, at the reunion. The last is my cousin (Mary) JO, and she will probably "kill" me for using it, but I just thought it looked like her mom so much that I used it anyway. There were 11 children in my dad's family, who lived to adulthood, but now only three of them are living. Just to see if I can, I will list all of their grandchildren:

Uncle Leon had three daughters, Dot, Nell and Judy;

Uncle John had: Ola Faye, Harold & Doyle,

Uncle Jessie: Billy, Bobby, Patricia, Peggy, Margaret, Michael, Debra, Jake and David;

Uncle Wolf (Wilbert) Carole, Dale, Steve, Kaki, Phyllis & Jan

Uncle James; Phil & Tim

My dad: Ken, Brenda, Shirley, Cynthia, Greg & Mark

Aunt Maggie: Mary Jo & Jerry

Aunt Jewell: Juanita, Donald & Gerald

Aunt Mattie Ree: Wayne, Charles & Joan

After Granddaddy Pierce (Clyde) left our grandmother (Josephine); he re-married and three more children; Buddy, Joyce and Shirley Ann.

Seeing this list, you can guess that there are lots of relatives to attend these reunions! Its always fun to gather and visit with those who attend each year! Of memory, I can only think of one I missed, and I was sick, or one of the kids was sick. I'll add more pictures, and try not to bore you anymore. I just wanted to include some of it for a better picture of who I am.



No comments: